Back Hallwylska Museet
Hallwylska Museet
Hallwylska Museet
Hallwylska Museet
Hallwylska Museet
Hallwylska Museet
Hallwylska Museet Former home turned museum

The Hallwyl House was built for Count and Countess Walther and Wilhelmina von Hallwyl, to be used as a winter home and to accommodate the Countess’ vast art collection which she collected in order to found a museum. The couple was extremely rich, Walter being a descendant of one of Europe’s oldest families and Wilhelmina being the daughter of the very successful timber-merchant Wilhelm Kempe. They met in 1864 and married in 1865, Walther (who was Swiss) agreeing to make home in Sweden.

The mansion was built between 1893 – 1898 and on its completion was extremely modern including electricity, central heating, telephones, and bathrooms. It was donated to the Swedish State in 1920, on the condition that it would remain unchanged. Today you will find the house exactly as it was when Walther and Wilhelmina wandered the rooms.

The art collection stocks some 50.000 objects featuring paintings, sculptures, an armoury, Chinese art, ceramics and more.

Pricing
Admission
€ 10